Common Wasp Nests Questions Answered
How do wasp nest start?
- Fertilized queen emerges from hibernation around mid April.
- Queen finds suitable site i.e lofts, slate tiles, air bricks, bushes, trees etc.
- An initial cell is formed from chewed bark,dried timber and saliva.
- Queen lays between 10-20 eggs.
- First adults to emerge are sterile females.
- This brood (young of wasp nest) takes over task of building nest.
- Old nest are never reused.
How can you tell if a wasp nest is active?.
- Watch area of activity, if wasps fly in and out of same area or hole it is probably live, if there seems to be confusion they may be foraging.
- Turning on a light in the loft will attract wasps after a few minutes, leave area and close hatch.
How do AlclearPestControl get rid of a wasp nest?.
- An insecticide dust is applied directly into or around entrance to nest.
- If nest is accessible a water based insecticide can be applied to outer layer of nest.
- Aerosols are not recommended.
Should you remove an old wasp nest?.
- Wasps do not reuse old wasp nest.
- In winter months its usually safe to dismantle a nest if insecticide is not present (not allowed for untrained persons).
- Old nests do not cause harm or further problems.